Picture Of The Day

Picture Of The Day
Flyers Stanley Cup Champions Parade From The '70s

Friday, March 13, 2009

Tonight, We Pay Tribute To America's Showplace

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! NO SMOKING IN THE SPECTRUM! NO SMOKING IN THE SPECTRUM!"

Aaah...good ole Dave Zinkoff and the legendary Philadelphia Spectrum (now called Wachovia Spectrum).

Tonight, the 76ers will play their final game ever at America's Showplace and I will be attendance with some of my family members. Also, today is the day that would have been my dad's 50th birthday. So, this is what we wanted to do to celebrate my father's 50th. 

I remember when my father first took me to the Spectrum back in the 1992-93 season. It was for the 76ers because Flyers tickets were really hard to get back in the day. Even though the team was brutally awful, led by Jeff Hornacek and God knows who else, it was still a fun experience to be in the building. 

I also remember going to the game that the Sixers last played in the Spectrum back in 1996. Stupidly though, because I was afraid of fireworks as a young kid, my family and I didn't stay for the post game festivities.

But today, I will be at the festivities and can't wait to see Julius Erving, Bobby Jones, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Billy Cunningham and other 76er legends. 
I can't wait to hear Zink's voice announce "JULIUS "THE DOCTOR" ERRRRRRVIIIIIIIIIIIINNNGG!" 

And hopefully, the 76ers can defeat the Bulls, a team that used to always beat the 76ers back in the day of Sir Charles' Thump N' Bump squad. 

All I can say is this. Whether you are going to the game, watching it on television or listening to it on the radio, enjoy. I know I am going to enjoy this and that my father will be too (wherever he is) just like we used to back in the day.

There will never be another place like America's Showplace. 

No comments: