Picture Of The Day

Picture Of The Day
Flyers Stanley Cup Champions Parade From The '70s

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Absolutely AWESOME at America's Showplace

Tonight will definitely go down as one of my favorite nights in Philadelphia sports. You're probably thinking that I'm crazy. Well, I can counter with this. 

Forget that it was a regular season 76ers game that featured a below .500 Chicago Bulls team versus a 31-30 76ers team. Quickly remind yourself that the Sixers won 104-101 in a sloppy, yet exciting game and that Thaddeus Young scored a career high 31 points, beating his previous 29-point career high that he set the previous game. 

This game was about closing out the Spectrum in terms of Philadelphia sports in style. 


It was about remembering the days of Julius "Doctor J" Erving, Moses Malone and other Sixer greats. It was about remembering Dave Zinkoff. Zink is the voice of the 76ers and his raspy tone remains in the aura of the Spectrum. 


Fortunately, I was thinking on my feet and taped most of the pre-game ceremonies on my camera. Unfortunately, in the middle of Doc's speech my memory filled up. However, instead of being cut off in the middle of one of his sentences, my video has a somewhat good ending to it.



Just so everyone takes note, this is not Dave Zinkoff actually speaking. Unfortunately, Zink died over 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure this is the talented Joe Conklin acting as Zink's voice. But, no matter who the imitator is, this sounds exactly like Zink. I get chills listening to this guy, which leads me to my next point.

Some people today want to knock on the Spectrum for it being old and ill-equipped with the technological times. But truly, why do we go to these sporting events, whether they be 76ers, Eagles, Flyers or Phillies? For the game, right?

That's what I go for. I don't go for the lights or the enhanced high definition sounds. I don't go for the eating areas or the big jumbo screens. I don't go for the extra amenities. Don't get me wrong, they are nice. But, I go for the game.

While watching tonight's game in the Spectrum, it was so much fun because it was an intimate setting and a great place to watch the game. The atmosphere was electric. It wasn't a half empty or two-thirds full gigantic Wachovia Center. It was the nice, cozy Wachovia Spectrum. Right when I walked in the building, memories flooded through my head of going to watch bad 76ers teams with my dad. Right when I walked in the building, I felt like I was in the old days again. It felt good.

I am truly sad to see this place go, because really it is not a bad place. I'll take it over the Center any day of the week, month or year. It is unique. It is special. It will forever be in my heart and memory, as it should be for you as well.
 

As Zink always said, "THIS IS FOR YOUUUU. YOUUUU. AND YOUUUU!"

Thanks Spectrum. You truly are America's Showplace and there will never be another one like you.

No comments: